Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Promising Practices

I had a very good experience at promising practices. I enjoyed the keynote speaker the health issues she talked about in Rhode Island were very interesting. It related a lot to a class I am taking now called principles of health education. It helped improve our mission of why we need Health Educators in the school systems to help improve public health in Rhode Island which is very important.
         
I was a little disappointed that my first workshop I signed up for got canceled and then I was not able to get into the Special Olympics one. The workshop I went to instead was an integrated behavior health approach to peer recovery. This workshop was very interesting. It is a program that is designed to help people with mental health issues or addiction problems by teaming them up with someone who has already been through recovery. The stories the people had were very interesting and moving

The Next workshop I attended was Advancing Health at the city level. This was also a very informative workshop. They talked about how they were attempting to improve the health and environment in certain areas of providence. It was interesting to me because I live in area where they are trying to do this type of project and I actually live right above one of the free clinics they funded to improve the health of people in the area. They also started summer lunch programs for kids who received meals at schools during the school year but no longer got meals during the summer.
 

Overall I was very happy with my experience at promising practices and will attend next year’s event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment